2012-05-14

Breaking ground (and the handles of all the tools.)

It has been a bit since my last update.  We have done a bit of work on the cabin two weekends ago Libby and I went up with a bunch of other campers to do some work on the cabin.  Here is last weekends summery with some photos thrown in.

I started the weekend with my minimum goal of accomplishment "unload the stuff at camp" anything more was gravy.  

We got up around 12:30 and everyone grabbed a drink and we walked into the woods to scout a spot.  We walked until we found something that looked like a clearing.  We laid out the bricks and started to try and build the frame from the high ground to the low ground.  We looked for whatever big rocks we could find and tried to put the posts on them.  We got one.   We went to grab the mattock to and the head broke off on the first hit.  We then worked our way out using the level and the frame to constrain construction.  I quickly realized "No Pilot required" was not the case for the 8 inch timber-locks I was using.  I was using my impact driver with the smallest lipo pack I had.   I gave up on the project for the first time of the weekend.  

I nice flat site.   Well, as flat as I could find.


I retired to the fire were Eric was sitting and he recommended the larger capacity battery pack.  I then went and tried again.  I got it to go in better, but not with the gumption I wanted.  I gave up for the second time of the weekend.  I went back to the fire and tried to find a 5/16th hex to 1/2 inch impact socket in Berlin at 5:15pm on a Saturday night.  Answer NO.  I was going to go read the directions on the box again, but we had already burned it.  We thought about using a 1/2 inch to 3/8th adapter to a 3/8th to 1/4 inch to a 5/16th socket might not be the best solution.  

Libby helping lay out the first beam.  We managed to miss all the big rocks and only set up anchor points above tree stumps.


Covert Drill charging under the table at breakfast.
I got more steam and went to go try my large drill in low speed setting.  WINNING!  we then started to build out the platform putting down a brick and putting up a 6x6 pillion then going and taking a break.  It grew bit by bit with everyone putting in a screw here and a beam there.  At the end of the night, we had 6 of the 10 pillars up and Nearing the end of the night Joe got Margarita Fury and put in all possible angular bracing.  Eric and I tried to hand him the correct parts to keep him moving before he ran out of tequila drive.  the front corner pillar ended up directly over a brand new tree we had just cut down.  We gave up and went to the camp fire.  I cleaned up for the night and collected the batteries and chargers for the morning.  breakfast/ errands/ best cup of coffee in Milan/ buy stuff at tractor supply I forgot.  
How things looked when we got to work on Sunday morning.


We went back to work on the floor and try and put up the last 4 piers.  We broke the pick ax handle with the first swing but Randal cut out a tree stump with his pocket knife and Rage.  
QC From our most valued construction help.  


The other 3 were not to bad. H kid was very helpful and put in all the 3/8ths lag bolts with the impact driver.  She also learned how to tie her hair back and secure loose clothing while running power tools (before any problems happened)  The forth still has chunks of stump after various attempts of removal by a few of us.  We left the assembly only missing one 6x6 post and half of the diagonal supports.  I figure give it some time to settle before we lock everything down.  We packed up and headed home at dark.  It was really an awesome weekend with everyone up at camp.
Burning out a broken ax handle.

Now I am getting ready for next weekends building.  The biggest hold ups are finding 5 inch decking screws.  I would rather purchase them locally, but it looks like amazon is my only option.  The second is for the rest of the equipment to come in for work.  (our floor)

Stacks of headers ready to be assembled up at camp
We had a limitation with the chop saw of 45 degree angles.  A few parts needed 52 degree angles we will need to chop them up at make it labs.


Parts that need a 52 degrees
Libby finished her Masters in Social Work degree at UNH and we all went to the hooding ceremony.  She had one Big Fan.


Glitter literally everywhere
 Libby and a classmate confused about what to do with no papers due the next week.
Libby's so Hood. Time to go help people.
 Sunday, we got up and headed to make it labs to turn one pile of wood into another pile of wood.  We started making all the wall sections.
Transferring the layout for all the studs bellow and above the windows.   

Libby cutting up a lot of lumber.  She cut out all the parts based on the cad model.

Chopping wood and making parts for our walls.  
 Libby is learning to use Spaceclaim (CAD) during the process.  I showed her how to measure parts for length and navigate in 3d.
Libby figuring out what to cut next.
We sorted all of the components on the floor.  This allowed us to make all the parts we needed to size and just assemble very easily.  Having a flexible work space like MakeIt Labs allows us to have a dry flat clean space and much easier to work with.


Parts in rows.  
The window wall sections would be over 220 pounds and 7 foot by 7 to 9 feet assembled.  Libby and I decided we can make it as a few smaller parts that will be easier to transport and easier handle for setup.


The look of a window wall section as it will assemble.


The exploded view of a window section broken down into a few parts.

All stacked up and ready to bring up to camp.  4 more and I will be ready to go.

All of the wall sections done and ready to go up to camp.  I just need to pick up 5 2x4's and tat should do it.
We might be this done next weekend. We might not.
 In theory this will all screw together very easily.  We will find out next weekend.  With any luck we will have all the walls and header up.


No comments: